Do you have plans this weekend to dust off that grill and host your friends for a cookout? Holiday weekends can be full of exciting plans with family and friends. Whether you are going to the lake or hosting a pool party, holiday weekends don’t have to throw you off track. You can stay committed to your health and fitness goals by following an 80/20 rule. You want to try to be 80% consistent with healthy habits which will leave 20% of the time to make more fun decisions.
Here are some of my top tips to stay healthy at a holiday gathering:
· Bring a vegetable tray or salad with you, so you know that there will be vegetables available.
· Make mozzarella, tomato, and basil kebobs as an appetizer.
· Grill mini zucchini pizzas as an appetizer.
· Bring hummus, guacamole, or try using greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise in a dip.
· Plan to grill lean meats like turkey, chicken, fish, or bison.
· Use lettuce instead of bread for your burger.
· Grill vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and squash as a side item.
· Fruit kebobs are a great dessert option.
· You can even try grilling some pineapple or peaches for a more festive dessert option.
· Use whole wheat pasta in pasta salad.
· Be careful of calorie filled beverages. Try infusing water with fruit like grapefruit, lemon, lime, oranges, berries, or even mint!
If you are looking for any recipes for your cookout this weekend, feel free to email me at email@example.com. Have a great weekend with your friends and family!
Staci Tobolowsky, MCN, RD/L